Tuesday 2 October 2012

Little helping hands

My youngest has a thing for tomatillos.  I don't know how and I don't know why.  When we would be working in the garden, she would sneak over to the tomatillo plants, snatch one, peel off the husk and eat it raw.  She's never seemed to mind how sour they were.

Fast forward to today.  I'm planning to finish putting up our small bounty of tomatillos and tomatoes this week.  I started with the tomatillos today - we're making salsa verde.  All the practice that little one had this summer in the garden came in handy, for she proved to be the only willing helper on hand!  Those little fingers expertly husked the tomatillos (the husks sometimes landing in the compost bucket, and sometimes on my head as I sat on the floor next to her), promptly placed them in the sink for washing, and then begged for more.  And, there was the occassional bite out of one or two. 

Such smiles.  Such giggles.  Such goodness!


No comments:

Post a Comment