Sunday 22 July 2012

Work

"The worst enemy mankind ever had was the dastard who persuaded it that work, which might be the dearest joy we have, was...well,...work."  ~ Marjorie Spock, Waldorf Schools:  Kindergarten and Early Grades
Today was about work.  For the adults it was a dawn to dusk thing.  For the children, it was a morning thing, with some peppered in throughout the evening.

Today's work, though, as mundane as it was, didn't feel like work.  It felt as though there was a purpose to it.  Serving those dearest to me.  I could see, touch and hear the direct recipients of my efforts.

I thought back to the days when I was paid to "work".  I remember my employer's efforts to create a line of sight between its employees and the customers we served.  Being a corporate office employee, the line was a bit longer, and went through more people before it hit the customer, but there was a line of sight nonetheless.  I remember thinking that the line made sense logically, but "the line" didn't resonate with my heart.  I wasn't stirred to doing tremendous things because of those customers.  I was stirred to do my best so the paycheque I brought home would be higher and my family could live more comfortably.

Fast forward almost two years.  My "work" has now changed significantly, and continues to evolve.  I grow and put up some of our food.  I prepare our meals.  I make our clothing, and clean it too.  I try very hard to nourish our children's minds and hearts.  Now, I also almost exclusively facilitate their learning.  It's a long and diverse list.  It makes for days that fly by.  It makes for just as much scheduling and multi-tasking as I used to do.  But something is different.  I know that all of my effort directly goes into our family.  At the end of each day, the sense of fulfillment I feel is greater.  Those failures sting a little more too.  But I am eager to get up in the morning to see what the day will bring.

I hope that if our children see one who loves work, they in turn will seek and find work that fuels their spirit and gives them energy.

Enjoy your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment